The defining phase of my career has been my time as an officer of the Indian Police
Service, where I served for 21 happening years. Having started as a civil engineer with
the Maharashtra Irrigation Department, after finishing my graduation from
Government College of Engineering at Aurangabad and the post-graduation in
Environmental Science and Engineering in IIT Bombay, I joined the IPS in 1987. While in the
IPS, I served in the state police departments of Jammu and Kashmir and West Bengal, before moving to
Mumbai on deputation to the Central Bureau of Investigation in 1996. In CBI, I worked at Mumbai and
Jaipur. In 2004, I joined the School of Management at IIT Bombay for a PhD programme, which
ultimately I did not complete due to changed priorities.
During 2005-2008, I worked with NASSCOM (National Association of Software and Service Companies), as Director, Cyber Security and Compliance, on a three-year deputation from Public Services. In 2008, I took voluntary retirement from the Indian Police Service (IPS) and joined the private sector as General Manager, Financial Crime Prevention, ICICI Bank, where I worked till July 2011. For two years after that, I worked as Director, Citi Security and Investigative Services, South Asia, before becoming an independent advisor to Ernst & Young and Citibank, from September 2013. I went over to Delhi to head the Data Security Council of India (DSCI), during 2015-16, before taking up my current role as CEO, Reserve Bank Information Technology Pvt Ltd (ReBIT). My LinkedIn profile gives more details.
I tweet regularly https://twitter.com/saravade on various topics covering cyber risk, policing, and climate change.
- Electronic Surveillance: An Investigator's Point of View, published in CBI Bulletin, May 1999.
- Here is another article based on a talk given in September 2000, at RBI's Training College at Mumbai on the subject of Cybercrime - Issues of Concern to Bankers.
- Note on Setting up of Cybercrime Cells
- Suggestions to Improve criminal investigation
- Mission Statements for Police Organizations
- Pradnya and I wrote an article, titled Emerging Scenarios of Cyber Frauds in India, based on some early cases of cyber fraud in Mumbai, investigation of which was supervised by Pradnya. The article was published in the December 2003 CBI Bulletin. It can be downloaded here.
- Our joint article, 'Broken Windows in Cyberspace' on the unique Public-Private Partnership between Mumbai Police and NASSCOM , for a safer cyber space, can be found in the March issue of Police Chief Magazine, published by the International Association of the Chiefs of Police. It is available online here and here (pdf).
- CBI Bulletin of January - March 2007 has published our article 'PMLA - A Critical Appraisal' on the Precention of Money Laundering Act. The article can be downloaded here.
- I blogged at LiveJournal during 2003-2011. My recent writings may be seen at https://www.linkedin.com/in/saravade/detail/recent-activity/posts/